Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Growing Onion Seeds

A few weeks ago I discovered that a couple of onions in my cupboard had started to sprout. Because I was curious, I decided to stick them in cups of water and see if they’d continue growing.

Please note the lovely view from my apartment- yup that’s a sound barrier.

I did a little research because I didn’t know too much about onions. I was sort of hoping that if I let these grow in my garden then some how they’d make me more onions. Apparently, however, that’s not the way they work. From what I understand these will continue to grow then make flowers and finally produce seeds. Then next year these seeds can be planted and they will grow into onions. Therefore my plan is to put these in my garden let them go to seed then harvest and dry the seeds to use next year to grow onions. It does seem like a bit of a long process and I’m sure that it would be much easier to go out and buy a packet of onion seeds but this seems much more exciting. Plus I'll get to learn a lot more about the process of seed saving. I’ll let you know how it goes.

For now, here’s a picture of them actually in the ground. I think they look cooler in the glasses though.

Running today: 1.5 mi

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome! But the drying seeds part sounds like a lot of work. Let me know how it goes. :)

    ReplyDelete